Note by Phyllis Brown: This pasta salad was made with what I had in my cupboards and refrigerator – you could change the combination in accordance with what you have in yours. The rest of supper consisted of Kentucky country ham, aged Trappist Cheese from Gethsemani Abbey in Nelson County, Kentucky, a multigrain bread and a good merlot from Bogle Vineyards. Oh, and dark chocolate brownies with walnuts for dessert!
Balsamic pasta Salad
- 1/2 pound rotini pasta
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1/2 medium green pepper, chopped
- about 20 black olives
- ten yellow pear tomatoes, halved
- a small handful of sun-dried tomatoes
- 8 fresh basil leaves, rolled and julienned
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons good balsamic vinegar
Bring a large pan of water to boil. Add a good handful of salt and then the pasta. Cook according to package directions. Strain and rinse with water until cool. Add all but last two ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, a little salt and pepper. Drizzle over salad. Stir gently. Enjoy!